Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving in the NICU

We are on day 33 in the NICU and Jaxson is continuing to do very well. He now weighs 4lbs and 14oz! We are so close to that 5lbs mark! I cannot wait for him to weigh the same as a normal baby should. Everyday he is growing and getting chubby - he looks like a different baby everyday! We are still having a very difficult time feeding him by mouth and  so he's required to take all food through his feeding tube. I am finding myself frustrated that he cannot exclusively feed from me, and there are days he does really well, and days like the past few where he doesn't except breast feeding at all. I try to not get discouraged, because in reality he's not even suppose to be here - He's suppose to be in my belly for another 5 weeks! So any amount of milk he takes from me, even a teaspoon is a miracle and should be considered as such.

Today, as we continue through another day in the NICU, it feels like any other day for us but facebook statuses/postings and greeting nurses are reminding us that it is a day to remember to be thankful. Today I am thankful for so much. I am thankful mostly for my son, watching him grow, learn and become strong. I am thankful that he is doing so well, despite his challenges - he is a strong fighter and I am thankful for that. I am thankful for Josh - my rock, my savior- my true love of my life -without him I could not do this. I am thankful for my friends, my family, my strength draws from you all, all your kindness, all your love. I am just thankful.

I wish that everyone would have the same gratitude always as they do on Thanksgiving holiday. This  past year  has not only been hard for me personally, but devastating for my family, and yet, we still find things to be thankful for. As my mother always taught me  to always count our blessings every single day, as they ALWAYS outweigh the bad. I could not imagine living any other way.

Today, we are having a very special Thanksgiving together as a mini family in the NICU. We are one of the only families here but we have some awesome nurses. Josh brought them all donuts from Dunkin Donuts to say thank you this morning - very sweet.

My dear (and AWESOME) friend Sue, brought Josh and I both a huge bag of turkey and the fixings, along with two delicious pies! We are excited to eat it! Yay for not having cafeteria food! We decided that we would eat, and then I would feed Jaxson...so sorta in a way, he'd have thanksgiving dinner with us. Even though Josh and I miss our families terribly, I cannot wait to share this story with Jaxson - our first Thanksgiving as a family.




Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment