Monday, November 14, 2011

3 weeks in the Hole!

We have been in the hospital for a total of 3 weeks so far.  Its hard to believe that next Monday Jaxson will already be a month old. Its even harder for me to fathom that we will have spent a whole month in the hospital. I'm more than ready to get out of here. I want my own bed, my own time, a home cooked meal, and most importantly : to get my baby home!


Jaxson is doing very well. He now weighs 3lbs 13 oz. The doctors/nurses have told me that he is not gaining the way that he should, so they are continuing to increase his feedings in hopes he will tolerate it. Sometimes he does well, but other times they pull undigested milk from his feeding tube. We are watching it all very closely and of course, anything like this gets Josh and I very nervous. Fingers crossed for a good week!


Which leads me into my best advice: When you read books, select carefully, and stay the hell away from anything you read on the Internet. Every little time we try to find some more information, we scare ourselves silly. Our doctors have been 100% honest from the get go, and let us know they will not sugar coat anything. If they are not worried about it, speaking to you about it, then you should not be obsessing over it.  Our nurses have been excellent in explaining away all of our concerns and making us feel comfortable in the treatments that Jaxson is receiving.

 The book we have been very comfortable with, and we could not live without is : Preemies, The Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies by Dana Wechsler Linden, Emma Trenti Paroli and Mia Wechsler Doron, M.D. I highly recommend this book to any preemie parent - it has addressed every feeling we've had and helped us understand better the conditions that the doctors would discuss with us.

Anyway, this weekend, Josh and I had our Maine baby shower at our home. We had a wonderful time with family and friends we had not seen for awhile, and especially since I've been in the hospital with Jax. We had a wonderful, beautiful day and we received many precious gifts. Jaxson was given many preemie clothes that I have washed and have up here with me today in the hospital - we'll make sure to change him often so he will have worn every single one of them!

As I sit here with Jaxson, sipping on a hot chocolate (my NICU/CNC staple), I am reminded of how blessed we are that Jaxson is here, alive and doing well, when he is still suppose to be in my belly, sharing my cocoa with me for another 6 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth i would not worry about the feeding to much we had to go through it with my daughter chloe because she would not drink from a nipple and would only eat what she wanted. it took us awhile. she ended having to have a g tube put into her stomach to help her cause of her not eating from a bottle but after two weeks of being home she was on a bottle full time she just wanted to do it when she wanted they can be very stubborn sometimes. just remember things will all fall together day by day. Crystal

    ReplyDelete