Sunday, November 13, 2011

Can't shake this feeling...

We have approached day 21 in the NICU and for some reason, it is a very hard day for me. I make it a point to count my blessings every single day because we are so unbelievably lucky compared to some of the other parents here. But there are days, like today, where you cannot shake this overwhelming feeling of grief and anger no matter what you do. So if today is one of those days for you, I want to share this poem that was shared with me by a dear friend on a day much like today.

As I love you through the glass
a tiny hand sweeps across the blanket
reaching out to me.
You lie there in the stillness
of your slumber clinging to life;
... I reach inside to touch you
and you stir slightly;
I feel a tiny breath like a feather
caress my fingers
as I love you through the glass.
One eye opens
easily staring into mine;
Can you see me?
Can you feel my presence
as I love you through the glass.
I ache to hold you;
I await the moment
when you peacefully rest in my loving arms.
A silent tear rolls down my face;
I slowly turn to walk away
only to glance back one more time
as I love you through the glass.

By Elena Murphy
A poem so true with words that I can imagine that you have once felt or currently feel. For me, It spoke directly from my heart, and brings tears to my eyes even after this is no longer true for us. I will never forget the heartbreak of not being able to hold my baby when he was born, or only being able to watch him through the glass when all I wanted was to pick him up and console him when he let out his silent, tired cries...
Tomorrow is another day, growing stronger with each breath...Hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment